If you are starting to think about baby names for your little one, you may be paying more attention than usual to celebrity baby names.
Celebrities are known to pick ‘weird’ or unusual baby names for their children, and sometimes those sound a bit too much for us anonymous people. But who’s to say our babies can’t pull them off?
Celebrity baby names: Are they for everybody?
Sometimes, we roll our eyes when we read about the new weird name a celebrity has picked for their son or daughter. How come so many of them end up running away from the most common names? Well, who knows why! Maybe uncommon lives call for uncommon names, or maybe it’s because they know their children probably won’t have to face one of the main disadvantages of picking an uncommon name: having to repeat it or spell it to everybody so they can get it right. Celebrity baby names, after all, are all over newspapers and magazines!
However, not all celebrity baby names are just weird or unusual names. Some of them are words of common use that are just not used as names. Take Apple Martin, the daughter of actress Gwyneth Paltrow and musician Chris Martin, for instance; or North West, the controversial choice of Kim Kardashian and rapper Kanye West!
Some others keep it more down-to-earth and pick actual names, if not very used. Examples of this would be the Ophelia, the daughter of musician Dave Grohl, or Otis, the son of actors Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis. Sort of old-fashioned names that will probably be trendy again soon!
Another type of celebrity baby names are those that are of common used… but suffer a change in gender! For instance, we have little James, daughter of actors Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds, or Frankie, actress Drew Barrymore’s youngest daughter.
Our selection of celebrity baby names
While some of the celebrity baby names might be a bit too over-the-top, there are others that we love. Here you have CaptainMums’ selection!
- Atlas: The son of actor Edward Norton and film producer Shauna Robertson. Atlas was a Greek god that was sentenced by Zeus to carry the weight of the heavens on his shoulders. We hope that little boy doesn’t have such a task ahead of him – but it is a beautiful name nonetheless!
- Bear: Yes, maybe this one is a little bit over-the-top. But think of how cute it must be to have a baby Bear! The name has been chosen by actresses Kate Winslet and Alicia Silversone, who welcomed sons Bear Blaze and Bear Blu, respectively.
- Blue Ivy: We can’t deny that the names chosen by Beyoncé and Jay-Z make a beautiful pair. Apparently, Ivy was chosen because of number 4 (IV in roman numerals), a favourite of the couple, and Blue is a reference to the Blueprint trilogy of albums by the rapper.
- Happy: So simple, and so perfect! Happy is the daughter of the singer Macy Gray, who shows us that it is true that sometimes, less is more.
- Nahla: Nahla Ariela is the daughter of actress Halle Berry and Gabriel Aubry. According to the actress, it means “honeybee” in Arabic.
- Ocean: Actor Forest Whitaker is keen on unusual names, and we must say he has quite the taste in picking them! Besides his son Ocean, he also has daughters Sonnet and True.
- River Rose: Daughter of singer Kelly Clarkson and music manager Brandon Blackstock. Rose is a pretty common one, and River follows the trend of picking names that aren’t actually names. However, River has been used as a name before – remember actor River Phoenix?
- Suri: Yes, we’re referring to the daughter of actors Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. According to them, Suri means ‘red rose’ in Persian and ‘princess’ in Hebrew.
So, what did you think of these celebrity baby names? Do you think they are too much? Did we miss any? Tell us which celebrity names are your favourites in the comments!